I am a massive peanut butter lover, so I wanted to do a fun little blog dedicated to this slight addiction of mine!
But before I get into sharing a few ideas with you to help you get a bit experimental with your favourite jar of PB – and before we all start craving peanut butter – I should mention my top 3 favourite products and why I love them!
Whole Earth Smooth Peanut Butter – This is the traditional, thick and spreadable peanut butter in a jar, perfect for coating breakfast toast, crumpets or ricecakes. Smooth, yummy and made up of all natural ingredients: 96% roasted peanuts, sustainable palm oil and sea salt. Definitely a healthier and yummier swap for your regular peanut butter, and this one you can find easily in most supermarkets now.
Meridan Smooth Peanut Butter – In this jar you get 100% roasted peanuts meaning this one has no added palm oil, sugar or salt. This one is the jar I use the most, and it’s a good consistency for adding into porridge or baking recipes. I’d say it definitely has more of an earthy taste to it, and you have to stir this one up as the oil separates naturally in the jar. Super YUM.
P28 Signature Blend – Ok, brace yourself for this one. P28 Signature blend is a almond and peanut spread with whey protein, mixed with cranberries, flax & sunflower seeds, pure clover honey and a hint of cinnamon… Oh my! I think I could just spread this on toast for days… This one is made in Canada, and I’ve only ever seen it once in a Tesco Superstore, so I’d advice buying this online – trust me, it’s worth it! 2 tablespoons of P28 spread provides 28 grams of protein too, so it’s great to use on a post workout snack.
Besides these 3, I also like almond butter, cashew butter and a few other combination butters by Meridan! Check out the website if you want to mix it up, and try something a little different!
Ok, so now we’re all super hungry for peanut butter, heres my…
Top 5 favourite PB combinations!
1. “Banana Sushi” Take one tortilla wrap and spread a layer of your favourite peanut butter, add one banana and wrap the tortilla round. Slice into bite size sushi-style portions and eat away! You can always add chia seeds or chopped dried fruits/nuts too.
2. PB & Apple Sandwiches I love dipping sliced apple in peanut butter as a snack, and this idea combines that flavour combination! Slice the apples into horizontally into thick rounds and use a cookie cutter or spoon to remove that core part from the centre of each slice. Spread with PB and add in granola, raisins or even dark chocolate chips! Get creative then put your slices together and enjoy.
3. Thai PB Sauce Stir fry’s are always our go to meal at home, and this sauce is good for chicken, beef or even just adding on noodles! You’ll need 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoons of siracha/hot chilli sauce. You could also add some cashews too.
4. Guilt Free Peanut Butter Ice Cream. Chop and freeze 2 bananas. Place your frozen bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth! (you can add a little almond milk to help them blend faster if you wanted to!) When you think you’ve got a good consistency, in a bowl, spoon in 2 tablespoons of PB and 1 tablespoon on cocoa powder, and mix well. Top with strawberries, or blueberries and eat right away (because how could you resist not to?)
5. PB with Oats This one is a simple one, but something I love, and eat nearly everyday, so I thought I had to give it a mention! Prepare your porridge just the way you like it, then add on a sliced banana, a little peanut butter, a drizzle of honey, and dust cinnamon and chia seeds! I love preparing this as an overnight oats jar too with all the same ingredients!
Let me know if you have a favourite PB creation you think I should try too!